Presented by the Simon Fraser University Institute of Governance Studies, Public Affairs Association of Canada-BC Chapter and the Office of the Registrar of Lobbyists for British Columbia:
9:00 a.m. Registration
Conference Moderator: Jay Fedorak, Deputy Registrar of Lobbyists for British Columbia
Elizabeth Denham, Registrar of Lobbyists for British Columbia
9:45-10:45 Session 1: National Trends in Lobbying
This panel discussion will focus on national, provincial and municipal lobbying activities. Hear
from practitioners from across the country about best practices, trends and lessons learned.
Moderator: Patrick Smith, Professor and Director of the Institute of Governance Studies, Simon Fraser University
– Karen Shepherd, Commissioner of Lobbying of Canada
– Stephen Littlejohn, Inquiries and Investigations Counsel, Office of the Lobbyist Registrar,
City of Toronto
– Cathryn Motherwell, Director, Office of the Integrity Commissioner for Ontario
– Jay Fedorak, Deputy Registrar, Office of the Registrar of Lobbyists
11:00-12:15 Session 2: The Future of Lobbying in B.C.
Come learn about new directions, challenges and trends in lobbying in British Columbia from our panel of experts.
Moderator: Elizabeth Denham, Registrar of Lobbyists
– Patrick Smith, Professor and Director of the Institute of Governance Studies, SFU
– Dermod Travis, Executive Director, IntegrityBC
– Bill Tieleman, political columnist and Principal, WestStar Communications
– Serge Corbeil, Director of Government Relations and Advocacy for the Canadian Diabetes Association (B.C. and Alberta); President, B.C. Chapter of Public Affairs Association of Canada (PAAC-BC)
12:15-1:15 Lunch (Provided)
12:30-1:00 PAAC-BC Annual Meeting
The Public Affairs Association of Canada (PAAC) BC Chapter invites you to attend its 2016 annual meeting. Chapter President Serge Corbeil will provide a brief summary of PAAC’s 2015 work, and then the election of the new chapter executive will take place.
1:15-2:15 Session 3: Tips for Effective Lobbying of Public Office Holders
Government decision-makers are inundated with messages. Learn from public office holders about how to make your message memorable.
Moderator: John Capobianco, National Lead for Public Affairs with Fleishman-Hillard; President of the Public Affairs Association of Canada
– George Abbott, former B.C. Minister, numerous portfolios, including Health and Education
– Catherine McGregor, former B.C. Minister, numerous portfolios, including Municipal Affairs and Environment, Lands and Parks.
– Gerry Armstrong, former B.C. Deputy Minister, numerous portfolios, including Finance and Corporate Relations and Advanced Education, Training, and Technology.
2:30-3:15 Session 4: Lobbyists Registry Tips from the ORL and PAAC-BC
Join us for this informative three-part session and take away quick, beneficial tips that will help you navigate the B.C. Lobbyists Registry and provide you with some clarification around common misconceptions.
a) What I’ve learned working with the Lobbyists Registry, with Registry Manager Carol Searle
b) PAAC-BC’s Top 10 Tips about the Lobbyists Registry with Tamara Little, Vice President of Public Affairs, NATIONAL Public Relations
c) Interactive audience participation with Norma Miller, Manager of Government Relations for the British Columbia Real Estate Association.
3:15-3:30 Closing Remarks
Elizabeth Denham, Registrar of Lobbyists and Serge Corbeil, President, PAAC-B.C.